Dress To Impress In The Ultimate Après Ski Outfit
Shoop shoop! It’s time to hit the slopes!
Ski season is here, so it’s time to get on piste with your skiing attire and freshen up that après ski look.
But what is après ski and how should you dress for it? At CHO, we’ve pulled together our top styling tips to help you to curate a show-stopping après ski look and carry your style effortlessly from the slopes to the chalets. Get ready to take on the snow!
Table of contents:
What is après ski?
Après ski is French for ‘after skiing’. The term was first coined in the 1950s to describe post-slope activities and everything that skiers get up to when they’re not skiing.
When considering a skiing holiday, the quality of the après ski available is just as important as the snow on the slopes.
And it’s not just about how good the bars are; many other fun activities are part of the après ski experience. Ice skating and snowmobiling are top picks for those wanting more fun in the snow. Still, some resorts also offer board games, daytime discos (dancing on the tables fully permitted), antipasti and wine and relaxing spa sessions.
Après ski typically starts mid-afternoon and is usually wrapped up in the early evening to give skiers a chance to return to their hotels and prepare for their dinner plans. You can, of course, start earlier or stay later. Or, why not dedicate a full day to après ski?
You can usually find the best places to après at the bottom of the run, so you don’t need to be an Olympic skier to be part of the fun. In fact, you don’t even have to ski as most hotspots can be reached by cable car or gondola, so you can go straight from your hotel or lodge to enjoy the post-ski experience without ever having to hit the slopes!
What to wear for après ski?
Curating a perfect après ski style isn’t as difficult as you think. The look is about carrying your skiwear effortlessly to the bars, lodges and other destinations in and around the slopes. Whilst you want to remain stylish, your best bet is to choose a comfortable look which gives you freedom of movement on the slopes.
So before we get into our perfect après ski outfits, here are our top tips for styling your après look.
- Choose comfortable, casual clothing because, after all, partying in your ski clothes is all part of the après experience. If you’re skipping the skiing and going straight to the bars, avoid overdressing because you’ll want to fit in with the skiers and the casual environment. Jeans and a stylish, cosy knit are your best bet, with something a little fancier for the more upscale bars.
- You should avoid heels at all costs! Can you imagine what it would be like walking in heels in deep snow? Choose a chic snow boot instead to compliment your off-duty ski look.
- Don’t forget to pack a swimsuit! Hot tubs and spas are essential to the après experience, so take yours for a blissful afternoon of relaxing.
- Sunglasses look chic and help to protect your eyes from the strong mountain sun – so don’t forget to bring yours with you.
- Whatever outfit you wear, the devil is in the detail, so don’t forget to complete your look with super cute accessories. A warm pom pom, beanie hat or earmuffs and some stylish gloves will complement any stylish ski outfit or help you to look the part if you’re skipping the slopes.
The perfect women’s après ski outfit
Double-duty sweaters are key at après ski. Choose a Fairisle knit that will look super cute when you’re enjoying some post-ski downtime, or if you’d rather choose a similar style in a plain bright shade, such as Barbour’s lemon yellow Malin women’s jumper. Either will look super stylish when paired with salopettes or stirrup ski leggings.
Obviously, on the slopes, you’ll pair your jumper with your ski pants, but if you’re heading straight to the bars, a good pair of jeans from Boss will carry you through.
Ski boots are a no-no in many of the aprè ski bars, so invest in a good pair of snow boots to add a chic but practical finish to your look. Timberland’s Teddy boots are a perfect choice, with their fleece lining and waterproof leather upper, a stylish way to achieve an enviable après ski look.
Warmth is key, so why not complete your look with a bright Rains Puffer? A perfect pop of pink to keep you warm whilst sunning yourself slopeside, it’s the best way to add some chic styling to your slopeside look. Or, if pink isn’t your colour, why not choose a classic black puffer from Moose Knuckles?
The perfect men’s après ski outfit
Elevate your street style to the next level (literally) by taking it to the slopes! Après ski is perfect for showing off your casual cool, starting with a statement puffer jacket. With unisex options like this super warm Rains jacket or a cosy coat from Hunter, it’s never been easier to stay warm and look cool!
Layer in style by choosing a classic half-zip sweatshirt. This Barbour half-zip comes in a range of classic colours to pair perfectly with your ski pants, classic, comfortable GANT jeans, or some relaxed joggers if you’re skipping the slopes.
Find the perfect après ski look at CHO
Now you know how to après ski, why not shop for your post-slope essentials at CHO by browsing the links above? Curate the perfect après ski wardrobe that will carry you straight from the snow to that relaxed post-ski relaxed flow!